1. How have clergy and congregations experienced resistance and tension in adapting to post-pandemic changes within congregational life?
2. In what ways has the pandemic impacted congregational dynamics, both positively (e.g., giving, attendance) and troublingly?
3. As a pastor, how does the information shared in this episode about congregational dynamics during the pandemic resonate with your own experiences or observations?
4. What are the challenges and successes of hybrid worship and virtual meetings in congregational life, and how do they vary for in-person versus virtual attendees?
5. How has the pandemic affected congregation size, average age of attendees, and the trajectory of congregational life?
6. In light of the challenges and successes of hybrid worship and virtual meetings discussed in the episode, how might you adapt and improve your congregation’s approach to incorporating both in-person and virtual engagement?
7. What signs of optimism and hopefulness have emerged among clergy and congregations amid the challenges of the pandemic?
8. How has the pandemic impacted congregations that were already struggling pre-pandemic, and what trends have emerged in their experiences?
9. In what ways has the pandemic shaped the willingness of congregations to change and adapt, and how has this impacted the concrete that was poured during the pandemic?
10. Considering the resistance to change and adaptation observed in congregations post-pandemic, how do you plan to address potential reluctance within your congregation to embrace further shifts in congregational life?
11. What opportunities and challenges do hybrid worship and virtual meetings present for congregations in meeting the expectations of visitors and new members, as discussed by Scott Thumma?
12. What changes in behavior and collective trauma have clergy and congregations experienced as a result of the pandemic, and how are they working to rebuild and adapt to the new normal?
13. What practical steps can you take, inspired by the insights shared in the episode, to foster a sense of community and connection among both in-person and virtual participants within your congregation?