00:01:43 The pandemic and political division have caused church and familial splits when people refuse to accept differing views. This goes against the teachings of Jesus to break down divisions. The church needs to focus on reconciliation rather than creating more divisions.
00:05:07 Jim Harrington on the Leader Journey Podcast, where Jim asks two questions to understand others’ beliefs and develop empathy.
1. What is the purpose of Jim Harrington’s approach to understanding beliefs?
Answer: Jim Harrington’s approach aims to gain clarity and empathy by understanding the significant life experiences and the journey that led someone to their beliefs.
2. How can asking these questions help develop empathy?
Answer: By asking these questions, individuals can gain a deeper understanding of another person’s perspective, fostering empathy and reducing the tendency to dehumanize those with different beliefs.
3. What impact has political polarization and assumptions had on society?
Answer: Political polarization and assumptions have led to divisions and a tendency to dehumanize those who are perceived as different. It has contributed to splits in churches, denominations, families, and neighborhoods.
4. How can we bridge differences within churches and communities?
Answer: We can bridge differences by asking for perspectives, promoting understanding, and working with churches to foster reconciliation and unity, following the path of discipleship instead of the culture.
5. What is the role of discomfort in growth and spiritual development?
Answer: Discomfort can be an invitation from the Spirit to grow and seeking comfort can hinder growth and prevent meaningful conversations and understanding.
6. Are there any practical suggestions given for ministry leadership during times of change?
Answer: Yes, the podcast mentions Ronald Heifetz’s advice to gain an overview of the situation and shows the importance of skills, adaptability, emotional well-being, and spiritual formation in effective leadership during times of change.